Hear ye, hear ye! At Oneshi Press we see a world where indie comics creators get published and earn royalties. Where comicbook fans immerse themselves in gorgeous art and explore new worlds. Where one anthology combines one-off short comics and pieces of larger stories into beautiful, bizarre, thought-provoking books, digitally and in print.
So we’re building that world and you’re invited!
Our anthologies are celebrations of the different, explorations of the weird and celebrations of the stories nobody else is publishing. We prioritize marginalized voices, prefer to show pleasure over violence, and seek out the unorthodox. We want to see sequential art that tells stories from unique perspectives, upends conventional ways of thinking, immerses readers in lushly imagined worlds, and makes us go, “Wow that’s gorgeous.”
Thus, we want to see your submissions of 8, 16, and 24-page sequential art stories. That could mean one-off short comics, pieces of larger graphic novels or series, short stories or poems told in images, or anything else you can think up.
Check out our available books in our store, or peruse the websites of our sci-fi graphic novel, Tracy Queen, or our gritty vigilante comic, PACK, to get an idea of what we’re into!
HOW TO SUBMIT
- Oneshi Press is seeking sequential art (comics, pieces of graphic novels, graphic short stories, etc.).
- We want work that’s gorgeous, immersive, and progressive. We want to see work from less obvious points of view. Tell us tales of nonbinary folks, people of color, pagans, weirdos, rule-breakers, boundary-pushers, marginalized communities, and fantastical realms that bend our imaginations!
- We only accept submissions that have not been previously published.
- Simultaneous submissions are fine!
- Submissions may be 8, 16, or 24 pages in length. We publish 8 pages at a time, so if you have a longer work, it may be spread out over several anthologies.
- You may also submit extra art for consideration as a cover page for your work, but this is not required. We do not pay royalties on your cover art.
- All work remains creator-owned; we only ask for rights to first publication, and right of first refusal after publication.
- If selected, your work will published in both print and digital formats.
- We are accepting only sequential art and scripts for sequential art.
- Scripts should be submitted in standard comic book script format. (Dark Horse has a great sample here!)
- If you only have a script at this time, and you have an artist lined up to illustrate it, that’s fine! Send us the script and a link to the artist’s portfolio!
- We accept scripts without artists attached, but cannot guarantee that we will be able to secure an artist for your project.
- If you only have concept art, and you have a writer lined up, we’re interested! Hit us up!
- We accept concept art submissions, but cannot guarantee that we will be able to secure a writer for your project.
- We’re also looking for guest artists to showcase on our covers and in our pages! Send us an e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org if you want to know more!
- We love fan art! Send your best renditions of our characters to email@example.com for consideration!
- We pay royalties based on profits on a quarterly basis after publication of anthologies.
- Oneshi Press will contract with one team member per submitted work.
- Writer/artist teams may subcontract among themselves to determine how royalties are distributed within the team.
- We will not be running a Kickstarter to fund printing for these books, but we encourage creators to promote our Patreon, which funds our printing.
We are accepting submissions on a rolling bas
is throughout the year. Deadlines for each anthology are as follows:
- Winter issue:
- Submissions due September 1 (of previous year).
- Finished accepted pieces due November 1.
- Released January 1.
- Spring issue:
- Submissions due December 1 (of previous year).
- Finished accepted pieces due February 1.
- Released April 1.
- Summer issue:
- Submissions due March 1.
- Finished accepted pieces due May 1.
- Released July 1.
- Autumn issue:
- Submissions due June 1.
- Finished accepted pieces due August 1.
- Released October 1.
- Submissions must fit standard comic book specs: 6.625” x 10.25” at 300 dpi. We require a minimum 1/4″ title safety area where text is spaced from the edge of the page. We require an additional minimum of an 1/8” bleed if any art work meets the edge of the page.
- Acceptable file types: .PSDs, .TIFFs, .JPGs, .PNGs.
- E-mail your work to firstname.lastname@example.org, or share your work with us via Dropbox, Google Drive, or similar file sharing service.