It’s nearly Valentine’s Day, and that means we’re thinking about lurrv. At Oneshi Press, we lurrrv a lot of things—like epic sci-fi, high fantasy, comics that go deep…and indie publishing itself! It’s a wild, unpredictable world to be a part of. It can be scary at times. But it’s also intensely, fabulously, wonderfully rewarding, and we are absolutely head over heels with indie publishing. Here’s why…
- It’s exciting! You never know what’s going to happen in indie publishing. There are hardly any rules! That makes for a wild ride because you can publish whatever you want, sell it any way you can, and meet so many awesome people along the way. Of course, that also means it’s difficult to navigate, and fraught with peril. But we lurrrv living on the edge because…
- We’re always learning. When we started Oneshi Press, we thought we knew everything about publishing. Between the two of us, we had decades of experience in writing, illustrating, editing, design, and much more. But it didn’t take long until we realized how little we knew about everything else. Like printing, layout, distribution…the list goes on, and we’re still discovering how long it is! Were learning every step of the way. It can be tough, but it’s also exhilarating.
- The people are fantastic! Through publishing collections of indie comics by creators all around the world, we have been privileged to meet some absolutely wonderful people. There are so many folks out there with brilliant minds, awe-inspiring talent, and big, beautiful hearts. We thank our lucky stars every day for the opportunity to work with them, and we’re just getting started!
- We’re constantly inspired. The people we have come to know through indie publishing have inspired us, and continue to do so every day. The ideas, the visuals, the astonishing breadth of their amazing brains are just…Wow. We are in awe of their creativity, and it helps to keep us excited about our own work.
- FREEEEDOMMMMM! Look. Oneshi Press is not your typical business. We don’t have a board of directors, investors, a parent company, or corporate overlords. And while that sometimes makes our financial situation perilous (if we’re putting it mildly), it also means that we get to do whatever the hell we want. And what we want is to publish beautiful, intelligent, forward-looking books that genuinely give a shit about the world we live in, the characters whose stories stories we tell, and the creators behind them. It’s not always easy, but we do it because we believe that storytelling can—and regularly does—change the world for the better, and we want to do it our way. Indie is the only option for weirdos like us. And we are so grateful to have you along for the ride. We lurrrv you folks!
Want to help us stay free to publish awesomeness on our terms? We fund most of our operations on Patreon, where we’ve got a fantastic community of fellow weirdos who get perks like complimentary books, exclusive work-in-progress art downloads, and lots more in exchange for their support!
Or, if you’re more of a straight-to-the-point type, check out our indie comics, illustrated novels, comic-and-art anthologies, wall art, and sweet merch at the Oneshi Press store!
Love what you’re reading? Want more? Sign up for our newsletter & get it all!